Our thanks to our subscribers for supporting The Lifted Brow.
That ringing in your ears you’ve been noticing lately is brought to you by none other than the brand-new Noise Edition of The Lifted Brow: Digital.
In this issue: new fiction by Adam Ouston; Emily Stewart writes Beyoncé-remix-poetry; Michael Skinner pours one out for the Silver Jews; Andrew Harper reveals the secrets of drone; noise recommendations by Pat O’Brien and Lisa MacKinney; and Rainbow Chan presents a mixtape for a horizontal state.
Let’s make some noise for our contributors:
- Michael Skinner is a Melbourne musician and sometimes writer.
- Pat O’Brien presents O’Tomorrow on 3RRR in Melbourne, Australia. He plays guitar in Mad Nanna, Bearded Iris and Galah Galah Galah.
- Lisa MacKinney is a musician and historian who wrote a PhD on the Shangri-Las. Her solo guitar/organ noise project is Mystic Eyes. She is part of the Listen collective.
- Adam Ouston is a writer of fiction and non-fiction whose work has appeared in Island, Overland, Southerly, The Lifted Brow, The Review of Australian Fiction, Voiceworks and Crikey. He has recently completed a PhD on the travel writing of Robert Dessaix and has contributed a story to the forthcoming anthology Transportation: Islands and Cities.
- Emily Stewart is commissioning editor of Seizure. Her poetry has appeared recently or is forthcoming in Filmme Fatales, Feminartsy, Overland and The Age.
- Andrew Harper is a writer and experimental artist from Hobart who performs under the name Mutterlard. His work has been published in Island Magazine. He works in community health and is a very happy, if overwhelmed, father.
- Rainbow Chan is a Sydney-based singer/producer with a love for storytelling. Whether stitching together childhood dreams, rummaging through antique fairs or sampling odd sounds, Rainbow is constantly collecting bits and pieces for her music. An eclectic mix of vintage tones, sweet textural landscapes and layers of glitchy sounds, Rainbow Chan’s music is forward-thinking pop, embedded in the nostalgic imagination.
- Cover art by Lashna Tuschewski, an artist working in illustration, embroidery, collage, hand made jewellery, and ceramics.
The Lifted Brow: Digital is available on your preferred iOS device – get the app now.